You’ve heard of Black Friday and Cyber Monday—days great for the economy and for getting a good deal—well now we having GivingTuesday…a day that is great for the community!
GivingTuesday is a day to kick-off the giving season and celebrate all forms of giving as we work together to build a better community. It is the perfect day for a not-for-profit to launch a holiday campaign, for a foundation to announce grants, for a business to raise funds or awareness for a charity, for a team of people to get together to volunteer their time and for individuals to engage with the local causes that are impacting this community and the world.
GivingTuesday came to Guelph a few years ago with the project Guelph Gives, and with thousands of clothing items donated, over a hundred new organ donors, thousands of volunteer hours, over 2,000,000 twitter impressions nationally, and with more than $1.2 million invested in this community on that day, we couldn’t imagine not running this day again. And we want you to be part of 2017!
Getting involved is easy, all you need to do is think of a way that you and your business could give back to any great local cause and then do it! No idea is too big or too small.
• Find a creative way to gain donations from your customers and give them to a charity of your choice.
• Get a team together to volunteer for a great cause.
• Partner with a great local not-for-profit organization and help them reach their GuelphGives goal.
• Hold a penny drive, a clothing drive, a cookie sale, or any type of small fundraiser and then donate
to your favourite charity.
• Host a challenge with another local business to see who can raise the most of something (i.e.
canned goods, clothing, volunteer hours etc.)
Create a social media campaign to build awareness over a community issue.
Whatever you do, do it under the banner of Guelph Gives. When we give back together, as a community, we inspire others by showcasing the POWER OF GENEROSITY. Let us know what you are doing and we will feature you on our website and on social media so that everyone can know how generous you are!
Let’s all aspire to inspire as we celebrate a place we all know and love, Guelph!
Check out www.guelphgives.ca or follow the team on twitter @GuelphGives to learn more.
Here are some great give-back ideas from other local businesses:
Lucky Iron Fish, a local philanthropic businesses, is going to be giving and Iron Fish to select not-for-profit organizations to put in their Christmas Hampers being distributed to those living in poverty. These iron fish, when placed in with your cooking food, will supplement iron for families that may lack the resources to get proper nutrition.
Throughout the month of November, The Neighbour Hood Group will be donating 50 cents from every Mill St. Organic beer purchase to the Grand River Conservation Foundation and they will be announcing this total for Guelph Gives. They will also be giving coupons to patrons on December 1st as a give-back to customers.
Perkin-Elmer is going to be hosting a hat and mitten drive this year at their office. They will be collecting these winter necessities throughout the month of November and placing them on a Christmas tree. Come December 1st, Giving Day, they will be donating them to HOPE House, a local not-for-profit agency.
Buffalo Wild Wings is going to be hosting non-perishable food collection at their store in the weeks leading up to Giving Day and donating the goods to a local food bank. They are also going to host in-house give backs on the day-of to celebrate giving in this community.
Why get involved?
1. Be A Community Leader: A great way to establish your business, as a community leader is to support the community that you are part of. Serving and helping those who need help is pivotal to being a great leader—let people know that you care about Guelph!
2. Increase Your Support Base: With so much attention on businesses that have “B Corp” status or great social responsibility practices, customers are buying from businesses that recognize the need to give back. Be a business recognized for your generosity and grow the number of people who want to support you!
3. Great Promotion: We believe in the power of generosity and WANT to share your story. Get involved in Guelph Gives and we will make sure people know about it! Last year we reached over 2,000,000 Twitter Impressions—be part of the viral movement and let us tell everyone how generous you are. Giving is easy and there is no better attention than being known for giving back!